Sunday, July 26, 2009

July 3rd

I took my first pain pill around 6am then I went to rehab around 8am. They took off the brace for the first time and got rid of the gauze. They told me I looked pretty good as far as the swelling goes. They started to have me tighten my quad and try to push my knee to the bench I sat on. I did two sets of 20. They then had me do strait leg lifts. These were difficult. I felt like I was missing a lot of muscle in the joint area and found it was tough to keep my leg strait while I lifted it.

Next they had me bend my knee. They placed a board with a towel on it and had me use some webbing to start moving my knee back and forth to work on the flexibility. This wasn't fun but it got easier as my joint warmed up. Next they had me get up and take a few steps with the crutches. They wanted me to step with my bad leg and the crutches at the same time. I felt like after two or three steps I might be able to drop the crutches but they told me that my knee could buckle at any time and that they wanted me to keep the crutches there just in case. We walked over to a squat machine.

This machine positioned me on my back and I didn't use any resistance other than my body weight. I did this for around 5 minutes. I felt really good like I could do a lot more. They then moved me to another one legged squat machine that had some sort of rubber bands set up as resistance. I did 2 sets of 15 on this with one leg. They were all really impressed with where I was and decided to have me walk on the treadmill for around 5 minutes. I did that without any problems so they tried to have me walk backwards for a couple minutes which I was also able to do. I felt something being stretched on the inside of me knee. Overall it was a very productive first day at rehab.

When I got home I found that my knee was starting to stiffen up. I went back to my room and laid in bed with my foot elevated for the rest of the day. I would get up to use the bathroom but that was about it. My leg was very sore around the joint the rest of the day. I iced and elevated for the rest of the day. I had around an95 degree bend

No comments:

Post a Comment